Need some advice please

I was lucky enough to come upon a benefactor from whom I received a good amount of some type of cedar, the lengths indicated by the yard sticks. Does any one know what type of cedar it is and what it would be good for? This is the first cedar I have had. Appears to be free of cracks and very few knots. Any help, guesses or other wise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jack

16 Replies

You could send it all to me, and I will make a couple of armoires out of it.

CHRIS, Charlottetown PEI Canada. Anytime you can repurpose, reuse, or recycle, everyone wins!

Thorreain. You you ars such a kind and helpful guy………

Jack, where is it from? I’m far from an expert but my guess is western costal cedar, regardless of the type it looks like you scored big time.

RFloydWright

I see a beautiful cedar chest! And it smells good, too!

Thanks guys. He only knew it was from somewhere way up north and way out west, which I figured that also. Ha ha Certainly not from around here. Like I said I have never had any cedar and don’t know its properties as far as finishing, staining or top coating, or if it is used mostly for linings. It is very light for the size the pieces are, but just beautiful grain and color. Regardless free is always good!!

Jack

Looks like Western Red Cedar to me. We have tons of it on Vancouver Island. It’s pretty, has extreme rot resistance, and weathers to a nice silver colour if left alone. On the other hand it is soft, doesn’t hold fastenings well and splinters from it infect.

It is a widely used wood on the west coast for all kinds of craft items and also for boatbuilding and it has been since looooong before the white man came.

The early bird gets the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Thank you Paul, that gives me some ideas.

Jack

If nothing else, build some chests and line then with strips of this stuff. They will sell like hotcakes.

Losing fingers since 1969

Thanks Brian. Since it is so soft, good idea.

Jack

The larger blocks would be great for carving. I have carved about a dozen pieces from cedar. I can see a few things that I could carve with the larger blocks.

CHRIS, Charlottetown PEI Canada. Anytime you can repurpose, reuse, or recycle, everyone wins!

I’d also guess western red cedar jewelry boxes, blanket chests would be a good choice. I recommend good dust collection and or dusk mask as some people are allergic to it and it irritates your respiratory system. Best of luck in whatever you create.

Daba

Thank you Thorreain and Daba for the ideas and advise. You guys are the best.

Jack

Having worked Washington cedar mills and played with more than a little of it, gotta go with the shipwright kid. It looks like Pacific Northwet Cedar. Looks like you got fast growth (warm winters and wide grain) and some cold stuff, so plan accordingly for aesthetics. It can be purty stuff.

You can have a lot of fun with it. It won’t be anything like Tennessee aromatic, except when being cut. You can make nice band saw boxes or whatever you come up with. Regardless, good gloat post.

Thank you Kelly, good info.

Jack

Jack, you should grab a chunk about 4″ × 4″ about 10" long and take a try at carving. I love that type of cedar. While carving it, its odor is so relaxing. The wood itself is soft but be careful when cutting long strips as it will separate along the growth rings on its own. Keep the same chunk and pick it up every now and again until the wood itself will give you an idea what to carve. Its like therapy, getting to hold the wood and blade is relaxing without even making a cut. As for the rest of the lot, i would mill it then make either a chest or armoire.

I would resaw it and make keepsake boxes or a chest out of it. Be carefull of the dust you make with it. Cedar can cause breathing problems sometimes.

Jeff's Woodworking

Thanks Thorreain and Jeff for the great ideas.

Jack