Which to buy first?

Hello all, I am slowly building up by tools and have been watching video’s of a Jointer/Planer and a Thickness Planer. Which do you buy first? I keep thinking the Thickness Planer, but then I can’t straighten boards – if I get the Jointer/Planer, I can’t get all of the boards to the same level. I’m working with pallet wood and we all know that there are no two boards the same.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kevin

12 Replies

I would get the thickness planer first. Depending on what tools you already have in your arsenal, there are numerous ways to straighten boards.

Joe Fiore

Thickness planer first.

You could joint on your router table if you have one. Just add a shim to the outfeed side of the fence.
The same principle can be used on the table saw by making a sacrificial fence.
Of course if you have a long sled that even easier. Many other Technics have been posted on this site.

Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

Get the Thickness planer first. You can make a jig for your table saw to cut the ends straight, then you can build a sled to mount the piece you plan on putting through the planer and stabilize it with shims and double sided tape. Send it through the planer till one side is straight then put the other side through.

Thickness planer. Awesome tool…

-- Alec (Friends call me Wolf, no idea why)

Thanks guys – the consensus wins. Looking at a scroll saw now too…

Kevin

How about a drill press? Nothing beats nice perpendicular holes.

Jack

Bandsaws…great tools to make cheap wood good. Of course you won’t be able to do as fine work as with a scrollsaw, but I bet you get more use out of it for resawing and making pushsticks.

Found a great deal – orbital sander, router table and drill press – $250.00 (great condition). Guy threw in a bandsaw for good measure. Now just have to look for a good used planer and I’m set. Thanks for the advice gents!

Kevin

Nice!

Wow, what a deal. Congrats on your good luck.

Jack

If you’re still looking for a scroll saw don’t get anything that isn’t pinless, first one I bought can’t even be modified to accept them which limits what ornaments I can make. Always worth having one, particularly as a hobbiest, really opens up gift ideas and teaches patience.

If you are still looking for a planner might I suggest a Hitachi F1000A, combination planner and jointer. Wish I had found it before buying separate machines, IMO only way for the hobbyist to go!