My Roubo Bench Journey #3: Glue Up!

After several months of letting the beams sit and dry out more, they developed a slight cupping. A little time planning down the edges and all was flat again. Finally went back to work on the two edges that are going to be the glue joint for...

My shop #2: Overvieuw

Below, counter clockwise, an overvieuw of my small garage shop. This is my 5 in 1 (saw machine, moulder, mortiser, planer and jointer) combination. You also can see my own build bandsaw and closet with dustcollector. My lathe which I bought...

Workshop Tour

It seems that workshop postings have slowed down considerably since Steve posted his. I can’t compete with his, but I’ll show (parts of) our workshop anyway. The main portion of our shop is on the lower level. I chose to utilize the space...

Simple Jigs and Techniques #5: Modular Veneer Press Build

Just a few more pictures and explanations than the project post had room for. The concept is simple and can be adapted in many ways but here is what I did. First off I selected knot free parts of 8’ construction 2X4’s and ripped them into...

Hide Glue Primer #1: Myths, Facts and Videos

There have been several discussions here lately about hide glue so I thought I might post a little primer I made up a while back to answer some questions and maybe prompt the discussion. There are lots of myths around hide glue like it isn’t...

My work bench #2: Hold downs.

After I got my new Exterior door for the lid of the bench I needed to enable some hold-downs. Since the top is made from particle board 1.75" thick the compression type that cost $ 100 each would not work, I do not think. Therefore I came up...

52-36 piano box part one #2: 52-36 piano box part two

Here is part 2 of the box build and I have made the change from 1/2" ply to 3/8" ply for the sides and I think it will give a more pleasing and balanced look to the design. The box is out of the jig and got dropped so in reverse and rip off the...

Picnic Table #4: Lamination

I did a quick dry run with a couple of laminates on the form. I heard crackling. It seemed to me the wood was too dry and the existing stress in the wood was fighting against me. Need some energy, time for Ice cream before the glue up. ...

Coffe Table #5: Covering the rib cage with 1/4 " plywood

In my last blog on the coffee table, I had the rib cage all glued up. Right after that was done I moved to install the 1/4 inch plywood. This blog is about that (1 month late) I used titebond III (the bottle is an empty re-filled) and 1"...

Picnic Table #7: Finishing Up

At the end of blog #6 we left off with the top done. Here is the top with a couple of coats of spar urethane. I looked at many finish for outdoor and read many review and posts. I looked at Cabot timber oil and Epifane that keep popping up....

... 3 5 7 ...