My Roubo Bench Journey #29: Stretchers Completed, might need to change assembly ....

2195 views and 0 favorites in

I finally finished the last stretcher today, it was twisted and slightly bent, that is what I get for taking so long to build this thing. Due to the wood movement, it took a little longer to tune the fit of the joints.

I did a dry fit of the base assembly and after taking a few measurements, I am afraid I might not be able to draw bore the joints together as originally planned.

With the base clamped up, The measurements show there is about a 1/2" difference btwn the distance btwn top of the legs and the and the mortises in the bench top. I am worried that the difference will not allow the draw bore holes to line up once the top is installed. So, I am thinking about gluing the stretchers to the legs, clamping them loosely, then glue the top on and then go back and just drill/drive pegs straight thru the legs and tenons, no drawbore.
Let me know what you think or if you have another suggestion.
Thanks!

View all parts of My Roubo Bench Journey »

I made a bunch of shims from a chunk of Bubinga I had forgotten about. I ran all the oak pegs thru the dowel plate. I spent the afternoon drilling all the holes for draw boring all the joints. I did make one mistake with drilling the holes thru one of the mortises, so one joint will look funny, but as long as it works I am cool with it.

If you can at all make the draw bores work you will be much happier if you did. Gluing and clamping is enough but their is a lot to be said about a solid wooden key of some type holding those massive joints together. I am sure you will find a way to get them in. It’s kind of like putting a fishermans knot on a hook, if you can’t get the line to pass thru the second loop after the twist then you will always worry the knot might let go even tho it’s probably strong enough that 30lb salmon won’t care.

-- CHRIS, Charlottetown PEI Canada. Anytime you can repurpose, reuse, or recycle, everyone wins!

Thanks for the comments guys. Steve, I like your idea.
I am going with the draw boring as originally planned, but will wait until the top is on before I drive in the oak pegs.
I have the base apart and plan to drill the holes tomorrow and make some shims for the benchtop tenons as well.

Clamp pressure is probably splaying the legs.Once released clamp them back over to parallel and pound the top on.
You might also want to cut a scrap piece the same length as your stretcher and use as a spacer and clamp that between the other end of legs to keep them parallel
during glue up.

-- steve66

Sign in to view comments