Vacuum Clamped Router Jig

I’ve been aware of vacuum clamping, and vacuum router jigs, for some time, and finally put one together. I came up with a cross design, some time back, that I wanted to be able to cut, without having to scroll saw accurately and that I could lap joint the cross pieces. With that, I came up with an MDF router jog, that vacuum clamps the stock, holding it to the jig during the routing process. No clamps to fumble with, no clamps to fall off, no clamps to get in the way. A quick connect allows easy attaching of the stock to the clamp and releasing for turning the part.

The jig, with a temporary weather strip gasket. I bought some new strip and ran it further out on the jig, so it holds MUCH better.

The jig, with a cut piece in place.

The jig, the vacuum pump and a cut piece.

Close up of the vacuum pump tag.

The recent cross design.

Lap joint shot.

I cut the lap joints on the table saw, using the home made cross cut sled. The outer edges of the cuts were done with stop blocks and remainder was removed by sliding the pieces back and forth across the blade, similar to making cove cuts on the table saw. Worked great.

Now I’ve got to figure out how I’m going to finish the details on this cross. Two layers? Single layer? Barb wire? Paint? Stain?

Keith "Shin" Schindler

That’s a great solution. Sometimes the best tools are the ones we make to overcome challenges in the work shop. Great job.

CHRIS, Charlottetown PEI Canada. Anytime you can repurpose, reuse, or recycle, everyone wins!