Let’s have some fun here. Sounds like there would be an interest for a Swap. You may be asking what I am talking about. Well, the Idea is to get folks together here and have fun, learn something new, push your abilities, and just have some good old fashion fun while participating. And you can make some new friends too.
What it entails you ask? It is building a project for someone else and ship it to them. At the same time someone else is creating a project to ship ether to You or another Member. Once everyone has received their package, we will have a reveal of the goodies or surprise that You received by posting photos and a brief description of what you received. Then the original builder can post their project with more details, photos and the build process.
Anyone can participate, you just need to sign up by a deadline. And follow along in the forum with comments; like how your project is coming along, ask question when you run into a snag, joke with the others. Mainly just let Us know that you are making progress on the project.
- This is in no way officially sponsored by, run by, or otherwise tied to "Craftisian" as a company or organization, or to any of the parent or sibling holdings thereof. It is simply run by those of us who participate on “Craftisian”. Both the Old and the New are welcome to join the swap.
- International Members are welcome to participate in the Swap, just be aware of the shipping cost that will be incurred and the time frame for shipping to ensure that the receiver gets their package before the reveal date.
Let’s make this a simple swap so folks can see what these are all about. (Yes, there might be folks here who have participated in swaps like this, please be patient, we want other’s here to feel welcome to join Us, Thank You). This is a new home for some of Us and we are not here to take over, just to have fun and bring something else to the forum.
Back to the Theme: This is a surprise swap. Anything goes. Have an idea you wanna try go for it. Have some signature items you normally make that someone here would enjoy great. I just ask that you push yourself and you do your best. Think how youd feel receiving the items. Keep in mind these items need to be shipped.
If you have not participated in a Swaps before, Welcome! It is relatively simple; each participant makes their swap item(s) and will get a name and address via e-mail a few weeks before the shipping deadline to who and where they will be mailing their entry. Postage is to be paid by the sender. The Craftisian Member who you're shipping to, as well as the one who is shipping to you, will be completely random. Unless there are special circumstances - like the need for international shipping - I will not influence who anyone is paired with.
Rules for this swap
- Teaser shots are allowed, but please do not post full in-progress or finished pictures until after the reveal date. Remember we want everyone to be surprised when they receive their package!
- A progress pic (sent to me) will be required NO LATER THAN the due date listed near the end of this post. The progress pic needs to show that you've put sufficient time and work into the project to be able to complete it by the ship date. I know things come up so if you don't have a progress pic by the required date but are confident, you'll still be able to complete your item(s) by the ship date, just e-mail me BEFORE the progress pic due date and we'll figure out a plan. Anyone who doesn't e-mail me a progress pic or let me know why they haven't by 11:59 PM EDT on the due date WILL BE DROPPED from the list of participants.
- Bonus Items are completely optional and are not in any way required or expected. In other swaps, some folks include an extra "goody" along with their swap items. Bonus items do not have to be related to the swap theme, or even woodworking for that matter. It has just something that has kind of evolved through swaps I have participated in, so I wanted to address it up front.
- Also include a letter in your package telling the recipient about the wood and project, and maybe include a description of how you made it. You can also include any difficulties you had if you wish. And remember to take your photos prior to shipping, you don’t want to ask your recipient to send you photos, for you to post your project. You might not be happy with their photos.
How to sign up
Post below letting me know that you are in and then send an e-mail to
containing ALL of the following information:
- Craftisian Username
- Real Name
- Email address
- Shipping Address, including country
- Phone Number (USA - optional /International - A MUST) - Let me know if you are not willing to ship internationally (so I can make sure I pair any non-US participants accordingly)
I won't send a confirmation e-mail but will be keeping a list of confirmed participants below that I will update. If you don't see your name on the list within a day or two of e-mailing me, shoot me another e-mail or PM so I don't miss anybody.
Also post in the thread that you want to participate so I make sure to see you. Also we would like you to pop into the thread and post something from time to time so we know you're still around. Progress pictures will also be sent to the above e-mail address no later than the due date given below.
Your recipient's name and address will be sent to you from the same e-mail address so make sure it's not caught by your spam filter.
In order to participate, you need to adhere to the dates below. Failure to do so will result in you getting dropped from the swap. If you can't make one of the dates, please make sure to notify me immediately.
- REGISTER FOR SWAP: 4/8/23
- PROGRESS PICTURE: 5/6/23
- SHIP DATE: 6/3/23
- REVEAL DATE: 6/17/23
No final pics until this date. Let the recipient post a pic or two before the sender posts their "formal" pics and project entry.
- When you post your projects, use the tag "Surpriseswap2023" so we can all easily find the projects in one spot. We might have to work on this with the new site.
- This is a collaborative learning experience for all of us so make use of this forum thread to share knowledge and ideas as well asking questions and getting advice. These swaps are about the journey more so than the destination!
Unless there is a shipping SNAFU - then please wait for your recipient to get it and post a few pics.
Hope to see folks join Us in the Swap. Have fun and always be safe in the shop. I will keep a running list of participants at the bottom of this first post in the thread.
3) Paul Gifford