Planer cutterhead bearing replacement #1: HELP! Can anyone give me advice on replacing bearings on my planer cutterhead?
Last week my planer blew a bearing on the cutterhead. It is a NuMark 12” planer, more than 30 years old. The company went out of business many years ago.
I cannot determine how to remove the cutterhead. Here’s the issue:
1. The cutterhead casting is a single unit.
2. The bearings on either end are smaller (35mm and 40mm) than the cutterhead diameter (47mm) so the cutterhead cannot be pulled or pushed out either end.
3. From the parts schematic, the cutterhead appears to be one piece (no smaller diameter inside shaft).
I considered attempting to remove the old bearing
and press in a new bearing without removing the cutterhead, but cannot determine how to remove the old bearing. (There doesn’t appear to be any where to get a puller on it.)
Do any of you mechanically-minded woodworkers have a solution for me?
-- “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
- Part 1: HELP! Can anyone give me advice on replacing bearings on my planer cutterhead?
- Part 2: The bearing is removed; what next?