My sons have been asking for a trebuchet for a long time. I saw a project by another woodworker and I decided that it was the one. I like the idea that it is a dedicated TENNIS BALL trebuchet. That means that we should not be flinging eggs, tomatoes, chickens, the cat… We will see.
The trebuchet was completed yesterday, Christmas day. It was not a surprise because my sons had been helping me with it all along. It was completed at about 4:00 and we had to try it out. But, it was a bit cold and starting to get dark. It was obvious that it still needed some fine tuning, so we decided to continue today.
The key to getting good results is the angle of the brad at the end of the arm that controls when the projectile will be released. It took me a while to figure out that I was also having trouble because the brad that I used had too big of a head on it - filing the head off was one of the big breakthroughs.
For the counterweight, I am using 20 pounds from an old weight set.
Posted elsewhere Dec 26, 2011.
As an update, this got a lot of use. No people, animals, or buildings were harmed. In the original post, an out-of-control lawyer warned me that I could be jailed for building such a siege weapon. Surprisingly, that did not happen either. We found that it worked very well with a baseball.