The cabinet top and drawer faces are maple ply. All of the drawer faces are continuous grain from one piece of maple ply. All the hardwood is soft maple except for the cherry accent in the center. The sides and back are birch ply. The finish is 5 coats of Waterlox. For shop furniture I use maple for the show faces and cheap out with birch on sides and back. With the Waterlox finish the color match is nearly spot on between the two different species of the ply.
The goal of this project was to build a new cabinet for my ShopSmith Model 10ER to live on. The cabinet needed plenty of storage to fit any accessories, be very stable, and mobile when required. The drawer measurements and layout were based off the center bottom drawer stowing the table and all its parts. After that it was just math to figure out the rest of the drawer sizes. The photos show that I have done most of my organization already. I still need to finish the drawer for the lathe rest and chuck but I haven't picked a chuck yet so will wait until I have that in hand. That leaves 4 drawers unused at this time to "grow" in to as I use the ShopSmith more.
For mobility I chose the Bora PM-1050 and just used the metal corner plates with the wheels. The only thing necessary to get a good fit is fitting some shims between the cabinet base the wheels plates.
To achieve stability and ensure the center of the cabinet never sags I chose to go with some medium duty leveling feet that have an L-shaped mounting bracket that slips under the bottom lip of the cabinet. I have 2 of them centrally located on the cabinet under the big drawer.
One of the simplest things I made for this that I get the most use out of is the little tool holder with a magnetic base. I set that down on the big cast iron base when making adjustments or swapping tooling. Its made from a 2x4 scrap but damn if it isn't handy.
My proudest moment of the entire cabinet is the cherry accent in front. I only had EXACTLY enough maple on hand to do the edge banding assuming I didn't screw up. Well I let Murphy do some math and of course the front section of banding came up short. I was already over budget and over time so I had to improvise. Here is a close up of how the accent came out. I'm quite pleased with it.
This project had to be finished in time to house the ShopSmith as I was deep in the restore process when I started building the cabinet. Here are some bonus images of the ShopSmith before and after restoration.
And I want to give a special thank you to HookieKen for helping me with a repair to the speed changer. I broke a very important part and HookieKen was kind enough me lots of time and money by crafting a solution for me. Thanks Kenny!