My Christmas gift year before last was a better saw but I soon realized that I needed a cross cut sled. I did a lot of searching & researching and this is what I settled on, it's a combination of 3 or 4 sleds I liked and I hope and think it will work for me. The hardest thing was squaring up the fence…after multiple attempts using the "5 cut method", I got frustrated and went on to other parts of the project. When I got back to setting the fence square the next day, it came together the first time, it amazed me the accuracy I was able to attain. I have no idea what I was doing wrong. BTW, I found out that not all squares are created equal, many I had were inaccurate
The sled part consists of 2 - 1/2 inch thick sheets of birch plywood I had left over from another project that I glued together for a 1" thick piece. The front and back fence are ¾" left over plywood that I glued up to double the thickness clamping them with a level to keep them straight while the glue setup. I dado cut several slots to install T-track for various hold downs including the top of the fence for the stop block that I bought from Katz / Moses. I read some critiques of the Katz stop block, but, to me, the criticisms were either self inflicted, like not recessing the track screws or putting a washer under the thumb screw to solve the claimed block movement that occurred when bumping a piece into the stop. I put only one track guide under the sled to allow for a future option to rip diagonals.
I waxed the bottom with paste wax, I was so surprised what a difference it made. I wanted to attach a self adhesive measuring tape on the top of the fence. I have one someplace that I have not been able to locate, I know it will show up when I buy another. I also could not bring myself to buy the overpriced T-bolts so I bought a pound of carriage bolts for 1.89/lb, ground down the head and sides to make something that worked like a T-bolt.
SO, this was my first saw sled I made up, I REALLY like how it works and the accuracy I can make my cuts.