OK I guess having a stash of timber is a bit like having a pocket full of loot, it burns a hole in your pocket!
So my In Glass timber was the focus of my attention over the last few days. I decided to make a tray for a friends Birthday.
The basic concept
After much deliberating over the jointing method and eventually decided on box joint fingers
Set up the blade and made a jig to suit.
Made a prototype to ensure I could produce something looking good before using the real material.
My "Knuckle Duster signature" handles were attached, via a 22 mm forstner bit and 6 mm round over.
and the base slot fitted.
Even tryong some round over profiles I thought it all looked a bit too Fred Flintstonish or chunky so I foolishly decide to taper the frame (on both sides) Silly move as it produced a more "dainty" look but shock horror I didnt prototype it first and ended up with this.
OMG! What to do?.. As I had dismantled the jig and box finger blade I really didn't want to set it all back up again and replicate two new rails, knowing full well it may possibly never fit as well as the original build. So after giving myself a few uppercuts I decided to press on and fill the gaps with tapered pieces hoping it would look OK finished.
Fingers crossed but it looks ugly!
Oh well more fire wood coming up!
Next day I sanded it and was reasonably happy with the "cover up". Chuffed as and thinking I managed to pull myself out of it I continued on. A coat of Feast Watson Jarah Stain ( a good Aust hardwood look for pine) Next goof coming Up!
I decided to rattle can spray it with clear acrylic gloss not realising the FW stain was oil based it turned into a complete disaster.
Orange Peel everywhere and that's after 800G and steel wool and a 3rd coat. Enough time wasted its staying like that. Lesson learned! ...how many years have I been doing this?oh well at least the timber was free Now you know why its called my OP Tray!
Note:- I had a auto spray painter expert drop and examine the tray. He informs me its not orange peel but in fact fish eye defect hence the reason I cannot get rid of it
What causes fish eye paint defect?
Fish eyes can be caused by oily spots or silicone particles and/or by airborne droplets that are deposited on the painted surface. When a coating is applied to a substrate that is contaminated with low surface energy particles such as oil, wax, grease or silicone, fish eyes may develop in the coating as it is applied. By sanding off the surface your exposing the contaminants yet again, and the defect will get worse!
Sides 2x 540 x 60 x 22 mm
Sides 2 x 340 x 60 x 22 and 2 x 290 x 60 x 22 mm
The 2 x 290 x 60 x 22 mm were cut at 45 deg and narrowed to a width 45mm.They were then Biscuit joined edge to edge to the tray end frames and Knuckle Duster style finger holes for handles.
These were made using a 22mm forstner bit and the existing template guide.
There were also 9 small filers use to correct the taper gaps
The Base was a single piece of 3 mm ply 490 x 300 mm.
The frame was joined using finger joints and a recess for the base added to the bottom with a slot cutter in a router.
The finger joints were cut with a custom Jig and using the Freud box cutter Blade set.
All four sections of the frame were then taper cut to reduce the bulk look mass.
The long sides were 5 deg and the higher end side 8 Deg to match the existing profiles
Note:- This was a bad idea as the finger joints now required filling with small pieces to hide the gaps.
Tapering for effect should only be done on the external sides of the tray not the insides!