Bench Stove Top Cover

476
9
No 4 Son and family needed to have some more bench space and keep little fiddle fingers away from the bench top stove hot plates and knobs.
his design concept was a removable cover capable of doubling as a work surface and be easily removable by them both.
the stove dimensios were:-
width 680mm

Depth 500mm

height 50mm


he didn't want anything too fancy so I used some pallet timber and a piece of 16 mm melamine covered material as a work surface.

Being a bit of a perfectionist in my attempts to build "stuff" I decided to go for corner finger joints to see if it was possible to do.
so I amused myself making a jig and producing a few leprechauns feather boards in the process of tuning it up!.


As it was they turned out fine so I dry assembled it fitted 8 Rubber feet and went and did a fitup, he liked it and I returned to fit the insert and handles.

Having almost enough handles   stashed away from clearance sales to compete with Bunnings I sent him a choice.

he/they decided on red so red it was.

Now a bit of a drama occurred whilst routing the recess for the insert!
After traveling no more then 600mm and taking two passes the bearing guide  on my $20AUD ebay bit decided to go tat tar's on me and in protest took a divot out of the top of the recess.

I was less than impressed to say the least.
So out comes the trusty "Earls" Timbermate to bog up the hole, ... and of course this halted work and to drown my sorrows I relaxed and re hydrated for the remainder of the day.

The insert needed to be a very close fit to prevent moisture getting into the particle board and blowing everything apart.
So the insert had a 45  deg chamfer on the underside to ensure it fitted s both flush an had a titebond glue watertight seal

with everything lubed up with heaps of glue in it went.

only minimal glue run out occurred on the underside.

Finishing:-
Now the finishing occurred before the insert was fitted.
The frame was  sanded and  then frogged up on the rebate to keep sealer and the finishing coat out of the glue surface.
it was then sanded again and steel woolled between the three finishing coats.

Fitted two colour coordinated handles and delivered the item!
can you see the ding?

Another victory for using recycled materials!  We will see how long it lasts.



Regards Rob

Serves the purpose intended and looks good and useful. Well done. What ding?

Main Street to the Mountains

Looks great!

Ryan/// ~sigh~ I blew up another bowl. Moke told me "I made the inside bigger than the outside".

Nice! The finger joints turned out well.
Obviously you guys don't live in Victoria... Chaiman Dan wouldn't let you own a gas burner.

If your first cut is too short... Take the second cut from the longer end... LBD

Good work Rob! I'd still worry a bit about that melamine and rain, but sounds like you took some good precautions. Looks good and is multi-functional 👍

LBD, waiting for the day here when we are required to use solar panels to separate hydrogen from water for use in our grills (then the resulting steam collected and condensed to be returned to the aquifer)
Oh and possibly no gas for the Olympic torch too I see.
I had a model car many years ago I gave it to No 3 Son when he expressed interest in hydrogen technology I think it ended up becoming another Hindenburg.

I looked it up you may still possibly be able to ger them.

Regards Rob

RobsCastle,
Great Project Rob...Looks good.
Regards......Cliff.

 RobsCastle
 commented about 12 hours ago
Oh and possibly no gas for the Olympic torch too I see.

At least we don't need to worry about the 'wealth Games...

If your first cut is too short... Take the second cut from the longer end... LBD

Nice project well done, like the finger joints.  

Ron