I don’t know if this is gloatworthy, but I bought a Jet JMI 1014 off craigslist for $275.00.
- A set of (eight) “Benjamin’s Best” knives $100.00
- Two old knives, just because, and value unknown.
- A few turning kits for pen, etc $30.00
- Step chuck $107.00
- Pen turning mandrel $27.00
- Poly carbonate face shield
Add to the foregoing a stack of wood, including some zebra or similar wood. Enough for a few [or several] hundred blanks, if cut on the band saw.
Add to that, the live center I bought to turn, using my drill, fits it perfectly.
I’ve never even touched a lathe before, so this would make a great starter, I suspect. Too, it’ll allow me to quit beating up my drill press for those occasional turning jobs I have to do.
The kid who sold me everything said his friend sharpened his tools for him and said the no name knives (a gouge and a skew) weren’t worth sharpening.
I touched the gouge up with my 1" sander and used it to turn my first project, a cylinder mallet, from sycamore. It seemed like a valuable part of the collection.
I suspect the former owner wasn’t all in on his hobby. I turned a nice mallet (first real project) from a chunk of the several hundred pounds of sycamore I got from a craigslist free ad and it seems apparent sharpening breaks are a must, so sending knives out to be sharpened seems a quick way to kill a hobby before it starts.
I used my Rotozip as a knife. Tried a trim router first, but it was too hard to control. With the Zip, I was able to duplicate a 3-1/2" leg for an antique miniature writing desk. Before that, it was a chair leg.
Rasps and things worked good for detail work then the final run was, of course, with sandpaper.
I let the Zip drag on the back side, rather than cutting into it like my Router Crafter or using a knife on a lathe.
Oh, and the drill press is just a floor model Ridged unit and doesn’t even have a taper chuck.
Gads, this thing is addictive. I think I have about the equivalent of five hundred dollars worth of handles on my not insignificant collection of files.
I glued and stacked a bunch of 1" plus squares, then turned them. Though it was the hardest turn I’ve done so far (had to sharpen a couple times just for a five inch turning), the combo of acacia, koa, mahogany, walnut and sycamore makes for a beautiful handle for something, as well as several stoppers.
I have a trunk full of new corks and I’m noticing there isn’t much wood to toss, when the lathe is figured in.