I saw this forum come up a couple of weeks ago. After hemming and hawing, I figured I would post something of an introduction. My name is Monty. The J comes from my mother and sister (older sister) as in MontyJ stop that, MontyJ put that down, MontyJ get off of there! Obviously J is my middle name. It doesn’t stand for anything and isn’t spelled out “Jay”. It’s just the letter J. They are the only people who called me that, and still do to this day. I don’t have the courage to ask my mother why it’s just J. I always figured my mother had a middle name in mind and it started with J. She was probably so tired after delivery that she mumbled the name and when the nurse asked her to spell it, all she got out was J…before falling asleep. Anyway, it’s good enough for me. Who am I to question my mother?
To make this already long introduction even longer…I’m a Navy veteran, avid gardener, and father of five (1 son, the oldest and long moved out, then 4 girls in a row). Believe me, I know the value of quality bathroom time.
As for woodworking, I’m just getting started and have no idea what I’m doing. I fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. I’m a fairly good carpenter, but that’s not what I do. I’m an electrician by trade. Woodworking is a way for me to make the things my wife wants, and give those things the personal touch she loves so much. Lately I have found myself gravitating towards hand tools more and more. I’m not sure why. I’m as apt to grab a hand saw as I am to fire up the table saw, or use a plane to handle the routers job. I can’t explain it; it just is.

So, that’s me, MontyJ.

Where are the band-aids?---Pro Libertate!

Great intro MontJ! :)
I like the story.

I have been admiring hand tools as well.

Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

Yup, why not? :) Nice to meet you, Monty!

Martin Sojka, Maker of Craftisian

great story!!!
“Woodworking is a way for me to make the things my wife wants,” <<< perfect!

Toxins Out, Nature In - body/mind/spirit

Yep, she’s spoiled…and she knows it ;)

I second Debbie’s comment. Thumbs up!

Losing fingers since 1969

I always told my kids that they weren’t spoiled if they knew it - they didn’t take it for granted and expect it…

Didn’t take it for granted…lucky you! My wife knows all she has to do is ask, and I’ll do it. She made me go out and buy all these woodworking tools, let’s me spend all day in the shop, doesn’t complain about how much I spent at the mill this time…it’s a nightmare I tell ya! A nightmare!

spousal abuse for sure!!!! What a meanie she is ….
:)