Monthly Book Giveaway - January 2023

Craftsman Style Floor Lamp With Copper

108
9
Project Information

A fellow had bought a set of my previous lamps and asked if I could make a floor lamp on the same theme.
Normally I hate commissions because it locks me into a project when I'd rather be building the latest project that pique my interests.

I'm just a sucker I guess 8^)

I won't take any down payments which allows me to not keep any promises (commitment issues?), but I knew I would be doing this.

There were a few issues however.

I didn't have the required walnut. I found a source for some narrow (4") walnut with a fair amount of sap wood and no real nice figure, but that was all I could get at a not so reasonable price. This changed the design from keeping 100% with the other lamp designs and allowed me to use the basic shape as a platform.

I wanted to use copper, with a patina.

The shade

I've made many of these shades, but since the lamp was much bigger than the usual table lamps, I scaled it up 15% (glad I had a CAD drawing 8^).
The usual amber mica for the panels.
Normally I can get two shades (8 panels) from a single standard sheet of the mica with some left over. I had guessed that with the larger size I could still get that, but not have any of the extra cutoffs. Big screw up there! I could only get enough for a single shade + one additional panel. The rest was too small to use anywhere, oh well!

The post

Made with four walnut 1"x1" struts, arranged in a truncated pyramid. Knowing these would probably bow and in general be wiggly, I installed "blocks" at the usual top & bottoms, but also put one in the upper center.




These blocks are Honduran rosewood, capped with walnut and the corners were rabbeted to partially inlay the struts. Based on a very early LJ project with a swing arm floor lamp, I added some corner beading strips also rabbeted into the struts.

Jigging up the cuts for all these subtle angles (1.8 degrees) was a RPITA and ate a lot of time, but the results came out well.

To hide the wiring I decided to use four sections of 3/8" copper tube on the bottom and a single link of 3/4" running to the top.
The copper was given a blue-green patina with ammonia. I really like how the color works with the darker walnut.

The base.

Three mitered frames stacked and the typical pad feet


The top

Corbels T&G'd into the upper block, a two lamp cluster with "vintage" style LED bulbs.

This was also a real pain to photograph, I wish I had a room dedicated for photos and tons of light (sigh)

Further lengthening the time involved I also had a huge list of other "housely" items to attend to, including having a large section of the metal roofing stripped from my shop after a mini monsoon season dust devil decided to touch down and tear things up.

I was glad to finally finish this as I went a bit over the top in construction.
The good thing with not getting any down payment is I can let the client take it or leave it if they don't like it (and make something more of their liking based on this lamps pluses and minuses)

Details

About 5'+ total height, base at the bottom is about 18" on a side (approximately the same as the shade) and weighs a lot so it isn't too tippy.

A tad under 14bf. of walnut was butchered in the making of this project.

Finish is Danish oil (natural) and pre-cat (Mohawk) satin lacquer.
i remember this one.still love it too. i like the patina on the copper,gotta try that technique on one of my projects someday.

working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

Thanks Pottz, had to rescue it from some other site before it got "damaged"
Stunning - I'm guessing the client had no issues with this one...
Actually a funny thing Steve. I placed this in the gallery with a "Reserved/Sold" sign to get some interest from customers before mentioning to my "client" that it was ready. Someone else really wanted it bad (had bought a set of the table lamps the week before) and offered a price I couldn't refuse. Fortunately my policy of "let me think/work on it" gave me the wiggle room to sell it and do the "clients" piece another day.
Also so awesome!

Ryan/// ~sigh~ I blew up another bowl. Moke told me "I made the inside bigger than the outside".

Nice lamp and a really cool story, Splint!
Sounds like a magical journey. Started with minor problems, easily bested, then turned into a 2 fer sale, and everyone went away happy. Lotta wins there, and this floor lamp certainly is a winner. I love the happy endings.
Love the lamp, and what a great use of copper pipe.