Walnut was harvested from my friend's family farm (Century farm) a number of years ago and this little case is made entirely from that wood (he didn't want any plywood back etc). The boards were only these so I didn’t have room for an "oops" (although later after I finished he found a couple more boards!!). All wood meant needing to figure out wood movement etc (lot of help from folks on LJ). Not sure I did everything right but it's still together many years later. The shelf height was custom based on his book collection (wanted top shelf at 10 inches and midle shelf at 8 inches). Also wanted the top to have three "sides." This is about 30 inches by 30 inches. One of my most challenging but meaningful projects.
Various progress pictures.
Also made him this little organizer so he wouldn't ding up the top!