I was angling to making some pizza cutting/serving boards for the BeerBQ swap this year. But I drew RyanGI to send a package to and he mentioned he would really rather not have something pizza related because he doesn't do them often. I was kinda disappointed because I had a pattern worked out I really liked and wanted to use. So after pondering it for a couple days, it dawned on me that the pattern would look pretty cool in a beer mug too.
So after some glue ups: And planing: And gluing: And planing: And gluing: And planing: And gluing:
I was finally able to start turning.
And eventually finish:
I was really happy with the final result. Though I wish I had used some denser woods than the Maple and Walnut in the cross segments. I had a lot of tearout in the endgrain on those pieces since they were completely dry. I had to stop after each session and fill in about 100 tiny holes with CA glue. But eventually I got a good finish on inside and outside.
The woods used are Paduak, Walnut, Maple and Osage Orange for the cross segments and Paduak and Osage Orange for the vertical dividers. The top and bottom pieces are also Osage Orange. The finish on the inside is a clear food safe epoxy that makes the cup waterproof and able to be used with cold beverages without damage. The outside is friction polish because I like the way it looks and feels. It will also allow a film finish to be applied over top of it if Ryan wishes.
I was a little worried that the cup would be too large without a handle but I could hold it comfortably and liked it a lot without a handle so I left it as-is. I needed to send Ryan something to test the epoxy seal with so I sent these along:
I also sent Ryan a toothpick holder in case some wood pieces broke loose and got lodged in his teeth.
I hope Ryan enjoys his package half as much as I enjoyed the one I got from Steve Rasmussen 😎