This is a follow up of my Lathe disk sander with micro adjustment... Take 2. regarding the threat of dust collection. After making my 320mm disc, I remembered the mess that the 230mm disc made. Even before mounting a sanding pad to the starter (I believe that's what the hook part is called) it was up to the office… a top up of red… and started to design a dust collector in SketchUp. After much brain-storming I finally came up with a design that I was prepared to attempt to manufacture,
As per a lot of my past projects, I chose to laser cut the parts out of 6mm MDF and where I needed bulk I used my tried and tested lamination principle. Pieces (ribs) glued together.
I came up with what I thought was a clever idea for attaching dust extraction. Problem was the designer didn't write any assembly instructions so I managed to screw it up… I assembled the front 2 pieces in reverse … the top nothes on the side should have been on the LHS,
Not to admit defeat, I cut some duplicate pieces and re-laminated. I cannot say I do not learn from past experience… I did learn and repeated the same exact assembly screw up
More cutting and assembly and while the orientation was correct, the lamination alignment wasn't…
normally I use alignment dowels, however, this time I tried a new method… clamps with clamping squares,
with mixed results… (back to alignment dowels on next project).
Fortunately the laser never sleeps so it was ready to make another production run. Finally got it together, properly aligned and oriented, only to find I forgot to turn X-Ray on in SketchUp and when I tried to attach the extraction port to the cover bottom half, some parts overlapped… Laser wake up! Modified, cut and laminated…
quickly running out of glue. Then it hit me…all those casks of vino… just kidding… the extraction port was spec'd on a hard to find shop-vac hose and if I needed to use another hose I'd be screwed. Came up with a new modification so that a different diameter shop-vac could be fabricated and easily attached using these 2 (currently not in action) bolts,
yeah, more cutting, laminating and glue purchasing. While I never got around to cutting the pieces, here is a mock-up of what might need to be made using laminated MDF… the pink part is the same component as the red on the left while the green parts are what would be glued onto the pink to accept the different diameter hose…
Alternatively I could 3D print a new coupler… the blue part that fits directly in the original port and designed such that the hose (grey) fits either inside or outside the coupler…
above it's configured for an outside fit. (Don't try to make sense of the above... it's a note to myself for the future.)
The base was designed to be mounted to the lathe bed using mag switches,
The body of the collector was designed in two halves so that when the top half was removed I could easily thread the disc onto the spindle. The bottom ribs and backing were laminated
The same procedure repeated with the top half
Then it dawned on me that the extractor port was up far too high (90°) rather than closer to the bottom. The lathe bed prevented bottom placement so I compromised at 45°. While I had to recut the bottom pieces, as they each had a tab to locate in the base, the top pieces remained the same… though I believe I had to manually drill a ¼" bolt hole (has been modified in SU). The base, bottom half and extractor port were glued together,
Now let's assemble it on the lathe.
Bottom half attached by the base using mag switches on the lathe bed,
The disc threaded on,
Base and bottom half brought forward to touch the back of the disc,
Attached the top half,
Added the bottom front cover and the top collar,
Added the hardware… used slip nuts to minimise threading,
Used a 1/16" shim to set the clearance between the disc face and the front bottom cover,
Locked in final position using the mag switches and ready for use,
Don't forget the dusty,
All that's left is to mount the milling table…
AND… don't forget to read the lathe's instruction manual so you'll know how to operate it. For those averse to reading (like me) I have created a video so you don't have to read the above drivel… Unfortunately I hate waste and as I was too lazy to bring my scrap bin up into the office none of the lengthy video finished up on the cutting floor.
PS. In one of the video's close ups I noticed a bit of flaky skin around the ear… So did SWMBO… I spent the rest of the day running away from the missus and her dust buster… run away… run away!
If your first cut is too short... Take the second cut from the longer end... LBD