This project was started in 2015 and completed in 2019.
I spent 20+ hours getting the design details worked out. The biggest challenge was the arched detail but also a sliding tray on the inside. Once I got that figured out I was ready to build. I took several photos during the build.
I had just enough cherry for this project. No spare material meant it took a bit of time to lay out all the pieces. The next picture is not that great, but I set up an extra long trammel to cut the arc for the arch templates.
Here is the template in use. I took care to make sure the panel blanks were positioned correctly.
Here are all the bird's eye panels. I was lucky enough to have a plank wide enough for single board panels. The wall panels were re-sawn to 1/2" thick while the top panels were kept a full 3/4" thick.
I cut a profile on each panel with a tall fence on the router table.
I took multiple passes to get the cut to full height.
Panel grooves were cut into all the rails & stiles.
Glue up. The maple panels were pre finished.
The birds-eye panels are 1/2" thick for 2 reasons. One was to save weight. The other was to provide room for a filler piece of cherry on the inside. This piece covers the arches on the inside and gives a clean look for the sliding tray.