For some time now I have been meaning to replace my hastily built veneer press in my Green Valley shop. The main reason it didn’t get done sooner is that it still worked fine thanks to some threaded rods I installed at the get go.
Fast forward to the present, and I need a somewhat larger press to be certain of a good job on the top of my current project. I decided to build a better version of exactly what I had because it fits in my tiny marquetry shop and gets the job done very well …… but why not make it adjustable for times like this when I need something bigger?
The pictures show:
1) The press in its expanded format with the two new frames at the ends and one of the old ones in the middle.
2) All four frames stacked together with the two platens. The larger one is underneath and the drill and few screws are all it takes to reassemble the press.
3) Some of the upper platens, aluminium plates for hot pressing, and insulation board pieces that I use to press marquetry.
4) The new press in 20" X 20" format.
5) The new press in its place in the marquetry shop above the marquetry shelves (drawers).
This little 20" X 20" press, with various configurations of top platens, can accommodate several smaller jobs at a time and often does. The screws on the front frame are from Lee Valley and are really nice but at around $18 ea, get expensive if you need several. The other screws are all modified C clamps from HF and cost around $6.50 ea including the speed handles. They also work very nicely.
Build blog is here.
Thanks for looking
-- The early bird gets the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.