Having the same problems today with the pattern and I messed up a lot. On the positive side I will learn a lot about how to do repairs as there will be a lot of them on this project. I was tempted to trash it, but I’ve got too much time invested in it to do that, besides, I will get some valuable experience doing the repairs.
All of the repair work will involve replacing badly cut and/or badly fitting pieces. This would be easy if I had been able to cut exactly to the pattern because I could simply use the pattern to cut the replacement pieces. However, I didn’t follow the pattern exactly, so that means that I have to somehow take the shape of the piece needed directly from my already assembled (but not glued up) picture. That means I need a pattern for the new pieces.
I think the best and easiest way to do this would be to place my temporarily assembled marquetry onto my light table, remove the bad part from the assembly, and with the light shining through the opening, trace the shape onto paper and use that as my pattern for the new piece.
Here is today’s progress. one thing I am fairly happy with is the veneer choices. They are turning out a little better than I had hoped for. Despite the problems, I am still enjoying doing the work and I am learning a little bit each day.
Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway