When I saw this pattern on Google I thought it would be a good one to try.
I also thought it would be good for a napkin box cover.
I decided to use some recycled Douglas fir to see how it would look like in reality.
A couple of arithmetic mistakes yielded a much smaller pattern 9.5×9.5. That left 2 options open: A plaque or a box.
I went for the box. The napkin box cover will have to wait…
I called this box Moroco since the pattern itself is referred to as Moroccan pattern.
The build for the pattern is describe in these 2 blogs:
The blog ended with the pattern being glue on a 1/8 thick piece of plywood.
I added some padauck to give it some contrast but mainly to increase the size to 10.5×10.5
That way I would endup with a box that is 4.5×4.5×3. the thickness is 5/16
through the drum sander:
I used Martyn (Britboxmaker) Easy Miter technique describe here:
The same process I used here on a different box.
Dimensions for the bottom parts
Same technique used then added some mittered pieces.
1- walnut (dowel)
2- Cherry (Dowel)
3- Douglas Fir (recycled)
4- Padauck (scrap)
Yellow glue, Hot Hide Glue
I had fun and some frustration while building this box.
Overall I learn few new things from this project.
-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA