FANTASY MARQUETRY #8: Working through the unexpected problems

984 views and 0 favorites in

My cutting didn’t go so well today. I experienced the same problem with the pattern lifting off the packet as I cut. I finally figured out that it was because I had used a recycled cabinet backing for the packet and it was lacquered, preventing the hide glue from sticking. but didn’t notice this at the time. This has been a problem from the start which will cause a lot of extra work, but I think I can still get a fairly decent result anyway, and I was relieved that the mystery is solved and I don’t have to worry about it for future projects.

Here is what I did today. You can see that I didn’t try too hard to follow the design lines with the clouds. I did have an awful time with cutting the hand holding the pipe with all some very small details due to the pattern coming loose , but some of the parts can be redone if necessary in the next round. A little frustrating, but part of the learning process.

I’m expecting to finish up this first part pretty quickly now as the most difficult cutting is mostly done except for the remedial work.

Today’s Tip
If you look closely at the pattern margins of the photo below you will see that instead of cutting the boarders at the pattern line, I have extended the veneers right into the margin. The reason for this is to make it easy to trim the boarders after the picture is glued to a substrate with a single cut to get them consistently straight and also to insure that the corners are all at 90 degrees. This way I don’t have to worry about bad cuts on individual pieces ruining the boarders or putting the picture out of square for eventual framing.

Thanks for following with.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway

View all parts of FANTASY MARQUETRY »

Sign in to view comments