I thought I had made a measuring/cutting mistake on the horizontal door frame pieces, but it turned out to not be so. That saved me a lot of time and I was happy that I wasn’t so sloppy after all.
I marked up one horizontal frame piece in preparation for cutting the tenons. Here I have set up my sliding table on the saw to cut the tenon shoulders. You can see that I have clamped a spacer to the fence to help make repeatable cuts on all 6 pieces. see below
Here I am setting the blade height with my shop made tool. see Below
And then taking a test cut to confirm the correct blade height. see below
And here is the first shoulder cut and then on to the bandsaw to cut the cheeks and edges. see below
After cutting the tenons I rounded the edges on them to match the rounded end of the mortises and then I did a dry fit. Everything went together well. I then measured the total width of the two doors and compared that with the opening on the shed and it was right on. That happens sometimes. Sorry, forgot to take a photo of the tenons. See Below
Finally I glued the door frames up with polyurethane glue (because it’s waterproof). I am not too worried about the appearance of these frames except they have to be square and flat. They will be on the inside of the doors and vertical tongue and groove panelling will be fastened to the outside. Not pretty, buy it allows the rain to run off quite well and provides no resting places for water. see below
That’s it for today. Not a particularly interesting project, but blogging it gives me an excuse to socialize a little and it’s nice to document the build so that when I get too old to do anything I will be able to look back on some of my little projects. That time probably isn’t very far off!
Thanks for following with.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway